Arts, Culture, History & Events

Cannery Lady  



A mini-rededication was held recently for the Cannery Lady Statue on First Street in Antioch. The event celebrated repairs completed after the theft of brass plaques in May of 2007. The Antioch Historical Society stepped in to raise part of the money to repair the statue and oversee the design changes and the engraving of all the original names from the stolen plaques.

Installed in 1996, the Cannery Lady became the first commemorative to a non-military working woman in the western United States, according to the Smithsonian Institute. The statue was originally paid for by the selling of tiles that line the patio at its base and by selling listings on the plaques. Current costs total $5,354 for repairs, $2,500 of which was raised by the Antioch Historical Society. The balance was paid by the City of Antioch; Jim Martin of Martin Memorials contributed the engraving.

A short history of the monument was given by Jim Boccio, the original chairman of the Statue Committee, and by Elizabeth Rimbault, president of the Antioch Historical Society. Boy Scout Troop 247 acted as the color guard and led the audience in the flag salute.

The Antioch Historical Society is still collecting funds to assist with the repair of the murals downtown. To contribute, send funds to the Antioch Historical Society, 1500 W. Fourth St., Antioch, CA 94509 and mark your check “Mural Repairs.”

Photos courtesy of Elizabeth Rimbault / Click here for more photos

All rights reserved © Arts & Cultural Foundation of Antioch 2001-2016 | Privacy Policy |
809 W. 1st Street | PO Box 613 | Antioch, CA 94509 | Diane Gibson-Gray, 925.325.9897